Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Million Bucks to Defeat the Bag Fee

The American Chemistry Council (Dow Chemical, Exxon Mobil, etc.) just announced this week that they're pouring more than $1 million into a campaign to defeat the plastic shopping bag tax that will be on the ballot in Seattle on August 18th. That's the most money ever poured into a Seattle ballot measure in history, according to the Seattle Times. All to defeat a 20 cent fee that most retailers think is a good idea. C'mon, people, the cost of these bags is already figured into the price you pay for your food, clothing, and other stuff you buy; the tax will go to fund new environmental initiaves here in Seattle. Who loses from that? Get this: only big retailers will have to remit the tax to the city. Small businesses will be able to keep 100% of it.

The argument that the bag fee will be onerous to the poor is just wrong. I've done a little personal experiment. I committed six months ago to stop using any more plastic bags for my groceries. I paid $3 for three reusable bags. Note: one reusable bag holds the equivalent of what three to four flimsy disposable plastic bags can hold (and sometimes more). In six months, I've used only two disposable plastic bags (a 40-cent expenditure if the bag-fee becomes law), I've made fewer trips to the grocery store (because I can carry more stuff in my reusable bags), and I've yet to wear out or tear even one of my reusable bags. Is it hard to remember to bring reusable bags to the grocery store with me? Are you kidding me? If I can remember to take my wallet with me, I can certainly remember to grab a couple of bags on the way out the door.

As for people who want to use those flimsy plastic bags for garbage sacks, oh please. The whole point is to keep these things out of the waste stream because that's where they do the most damage! Own up to your responsibility as an adult and recognize the impact your choices have on our environment. Recycle and compost (if you can) to reduce your waste, and buy an environmentally-friendly alternative garbage bag.

The city can and should encourage environmentally responsible behavior. Kudos to the city council members who supported the bag fee. All of them did, except for Jan Drago, who wants to be our next mayor. Maybe we should call her Ms. Yuck and make a green sticker with her face on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment